Saturday, April 25, 2009

Turkey Bolognese with Spaghetti


Let's talk budget friendly and ease of preparation. Pasta and sauce, but for my fellow foodies who probe the internet recognition of there undying and justifiable search for their foodie badge 1st class, Spaghetti alla Bolognese. Traditionally a rich meat sauce or ragu, slow simmered to bring out the rich flavor of the vegetables and the meats. Adding cream and my favorite butter to provide a silky finish to an already divine sauce, while there are many versions floating around from the traditional to modern I have found this one to be my favorite. To stay true myself and my blog I use turkey, for affordability. Also these days I am trying to watch my girlish figure. But enough about me, to give more flavor in the way of fat I used one pound of turkey sausage which has fennel, sage and of course my favorite fat. Ground turkey is traditionally very dry so the extra fat will bring in moisture. So to my foodie nation I present Spaghetti Ala Bolognese or in the words of my daughter "Daddy, more spaghetti with sauce please". Kids, they will never understand my struggle.

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
1 small onion diced
1 med carrot diced
1 rib celery diced
1 med bell pepper diced
1 bay leaf/1 sprig of thyme
2 cloves of garlic minced
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 lb ground turkey
1 lb ground turkey sausage
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup of stock(warm)
3 Tbsp of heavy cream
2 tbsp butter
pinch of nutmeg
flat-leaf parsley chopped
Cooked spaghetti

Heat butter and olive oil in large pot. Add onion thru thyme and heat over medium-heat constantly stirring until translucent but not browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Then add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then add the turkey. Stir and break pieces up while you sauté until no pink is remaining. Add tomato paste and cooked for 2-3 minutes, followed with crushed tomatoes. Add wine and bring up to a boil, cook until almost evaporated about 3-4 minutes. Add warmed stock thru nutmeg reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half until reduced and thick. If it becomes too thick add more stock a quarter of cup at a time. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve over cooked spaghetti sprinkled with parsley and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, and French bread with you guessed it butter! This was $2.69 per plate what a deal, and I have leftovers.

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of adding some cream and butter at the end. My daughter would "appreciate" the work much as yours does... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butter makes everything better, well except for the financial crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith - This is just the sort of recipe my family loves. I don't see that you gave the number of sevings, which would be helpful. Keep up the great cooking and posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is about 8 servings, there are only three of us so I still had leftovers. Thanx for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete