Monday, February 8, 2010

Honey, Soy and Garlic Broiled Tilapia


I would like to think I eat healthy every single day but that is a pipe dream that I will save for another time. My hope in creating and developing this recipe was a very easy and quick preparation of fish with some Asian flavors that I love. Now my desire would be to create healthy food done fast, but sometimes my focus can lead down the path of fast food right now! Hey I never said I was perfect.

2 cloves of garlic minced
2 scallions (green onions) sliced
1 tsp crushed red peppers
2 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
1 lb of Tilapia or any other firm white fish
2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro for garnish

Pre-heat the broiler, arrange the rack to be 4-5 inches from the broiler element (for stoves with the broiler at waist level). Place the tilapia in a Ziploc bag or ceramic dish large enough to accommodate all the fish in a single layer. Combine all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Add half the mixture to the fish and marinate for an hour, reserve the rest for later. Line a sheet pan with tin foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Remove the fish from the marinade and place on the sheet pan skin side down. Broil in the oven for 6-10 minutes until the fish flakes easily. Remove form the oven drizzle with the remaining sauce and top with cilantro and serve.
This dish took about an hour and half from start to finish due to the fact that it had to marinate for an hour. I served it with noodles and mixed vegetables to round out the meal. That is four servings at $1.75 per serving.

4 comments:

  1. So glad to see you back. The tilapia looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely looking dish! Mmmm Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe my family loves it. My mom loves it so much for her potluck at school she asked me to make this dish for her.

    ReplyDelete